Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Wolves OH MY!





I have been longing to do animal themed cupcakes and finally my chance came when my creativity class decided to visit The Wild Animal Sanctuary in Keensburg, CO. This place is exactly as said: a COMPLETELY non-profited organization wild animal sanctuary. More great info (and how you fellow animal-lovers can help) is here: www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/
I decided to create wild animal themed cupcakes! I did my Hershey’s chocolate recipe and a vanilla recipe from the book. (I suggest less flour and add French vanilla pudding mix-non prepared next time). I also have discovered that being in a higher elevation; I have to cook my cupcakes less than the time-suggested.
 I got the animals from what my fellow classmates’ favorite animals: Hippo, Jaguar, Lion, Tiger, and Wolf. 
Hippo: Purple frosting and purple colored almond bark with nerd for the ears, eyes, and nostrils poking their head out of the water.
Jaguar: Yellow frosting, spots (left over from the hippos), almond bark (or white frosting) mouth with heart runt nose, pink triangle formed starburst ears, and orange runt eyes.
Lion: Yellow frosting, orange hair, using a ziplock bag and “hair technique”, heart shaped nose, nerd eyes and orange runt ears.

Tiger: “teal” colored almond bark (not suggested again-texture didn’t turn out right), orange face, m&m ears, runt eyes and nose, and black swirls for stripes.
Wolf: My friend wanted green wolves, so using the idea from the book, I took a mini-cupcake and placed it on top of a regular cupcake (upside down and cut a “V” shape out of the middle to form the mouth (you can do cone shape for more of a “howl” mouth). I used starburst for the ears (shape) and inside of mouth. Then I did the “grass” technique and started from the outside and worked my way up the cupcake. After that, I used white frosting (same technique) for the teeth, and nerds for the eyes and nostrils.
These turned out awesome but I know with time they can improve and look even more professional! J

1 comment: